Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Place of Pride

Pride is an attribute drilled into the heart and soul of the Jewish people. As my days go on here in Israel, my sense of pride in both the Jewish people as well as the state of Israel continues to blossom. Three events from this past week in particular further sunk this feeling into my heart- The 1000 day of Gilad Shalit going missing, Shabbat in the old city and seeing the movie Defiance with my Holocaust class.
Last Wednesday three friends and I, looking for an adventure to embark on in the holy city of Jerusalem, found ourselves in front of the Presidents house on Gaza Street. Pitched outside of his residence, were upwards of 5 tents, hundreds of pictures, letters, petitions and people all in support of returning Gilad Shalit from the hands of terrorists to Eretz Yisrael. The mood was quiet but hopeful; people were smiling and seemingly optimistic about the return of Israel’s beloved soldier. Across the street sat another, not so popular tent dawning a poster in bold red and black letters in Hebrew, “Yes, Free Gilad. But don’t free Terrorists.” Surrounding this tent were hundreds of candles and posters of all of those Israelis murdered in terrorist attacks since the year 2000. This unbelievable display of Israeli reality silenced my friends and I, leaving us with a pit deep in our stomachs that every Israeli undoubtedly feels when faced with such an agonizing emotion.
On our way to visit the tents, we were stopped by an Israeli teenager who expressed to us the scene that lay ahead. He said the family was optimistic, in high spirits surprisingly. We questioned him about the tent across the street and he simply answered, we agree with them too. The sense of community, caring and understanding that thickened the air last Wednesday night, undoubtedly gave me the chills. Israelis are confronted with a lot of adversity in their lifetimes- everyone knows someone who did something important, who risked their life for the State of Israel and the Jewish people. This event sucked me into the sense of pride rooted deeply in the neshama of the Israeli.
For the weekend I spent Shabbat in the old city. Surrounded by interesting, different, loving people, most of whom I had never met, I felt unbelievably close to God. As I walked through the Cardo, under those ancient arches to the Kotel, I heard loud and fervent noise. We turned the corner after the infamous gold menorah to a sea of people singing, dancing and davening Kabbalat Shabbat. It was jammed packed with people from all walks of life joining together to bring in Shabbat. We had dinner and lunch the next day surround by people who are living their dream by being in Israel- for however long that may be. I was yet again, overcome with pride to be a part of this great nation of people.
Something super specific to Israel is its relationship to the Holocaust. One of the classes I am taking here is Jewish and Non Jewish Relations during the Holocaust, taught by an accomplished historian and scholar at Yad Vashem. I have yet to take a Holocaust class in college, and I figured this was a better place than any. The history of the Holocaust played a huge role in the creation of the State of Israel in 1948 as well a reminder as to the importance of the future of the state as a rock and safehaven for the global Jewish community.
My class took a field trip on Monday to the Malka Mall on the edge of Jerusalem to privately view the movie Defiance- based on the book Defiance that we are reading for class. The film was about the Belski Partisans that hid and fought in the forests of Belarusia during WWII. The partisans in the end saved about 1200 people—rescuing them from ghettos among other places. The film as you can imagine was kind of gory and a bit sad at times. It captured however, the strength and pride in which this band of Jews stood up for themselves and fought against one of the cruelest peoples to walk the face of the earth. As the movie ended, an overwhelming sense of pride filled my heart. It had hit me when we walked out of the theater into the mall that the plight of the Belski partisans did not only go unnoticed or been forgotten but continues today in the very land that I am blessed to walk on every day.
The existence of the state of Israel after the atrocities that befell the Jews of Eastern Europe is AMAZING! Everything we have here was built by Jews, for Jews as a safe haven against those who had and could potentially decree our demise. From the ashes of the Holocaust, a thriving oasis in a harsh, cruel, hostile environment, Israel continues to flourish and survive despite its enemies wills. As I sit here, hoping to inspire all of you to love Israel as deeply as I do, stunned by its sheer existence and success, and listening to the Idan Reichel Project in the background, I am left purely with a sense of pride for what my people have done and continue to do for this land and its inhabitants.


On a completely different note- I started my internship FINALLY last week. I intern at the Dati Meled Alternative School at 30 Hillel Street in downtown Jerusalem. This school is for “religious” drop-outs. Considered high risk in Israel- “ Meled’s students represent a growing phenomenon: the inability of many adolescents from observant families to operate and succeed in traditional educational frameworks. Some are victims of terrorism and have been emotionally traumatized by their experiences; others come from single parent families or immigrant families that have not been able to adjust to life in Israel. They may have left or been kicked out of their homes and driven to street drugs and petty crimes; girls are in an even more precarious situation.”
I work with these students twice a week helping them with English! They all ask me two questions initially- Am I religious and when am I making aliyah? So far I LOVE it. I am going to begin working with one girl, Miriam, in particular. She said she is one of 7 children, speaks not so highly of her American born father, and has a beautiful smile.
More to come on this for sure!

I miss all of you and REALLY want to hear about your lives in the States.

With Love,
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment