Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Day We skipped Ulpan for TuBeshvat

I have conformed. I’ve decided to join the ranks and begin a blog. This will most defiantly be beneficial to not only all of you lucky readers but myself as well.
For those of you who don’t know, I am spending the semester abroad in Jerusalem, Israel. I have been here for about a month, give or take, and it has already been unbelievable. I will post what I wrote to some family and friends the other week-

The name of my blog- Ein Li Eretz Acheret- means “I have no other country.” It is a famous and beautiful song here that I feel describes the connection I feel when I’m here.

Last Thursday I went to Tel Aviv for the night- its super easy to jump on a bus for about 19 shek- to see a Bob Marley tribute concert. Talk about an experience. The concert was a mix of different Israeli artist singing Rastafarian-Jewish music. I was surrounded the entire night by Rasta-Israelis with dreads, reeking of smoke and that- haven’t showered in a few days- smell. Covering the walls were banners showing “Rasta” pride- specifically a Rasta Lion banner in the front donning the Rastafarian flag with a Jewish star and a lion in the middle. This was unlike anything I have ever experienced Israelis performing English songs—most of whom were Ethiopian or other immigrants to Israel. It was incredible heat the messages of Bob Marley and Rasta connected to Judaism and in Israel of all places. The message was very much of love and peace and happiness for all of Gods people- a message that today is especially meaningful.

The concert was a great transition into my Shabbat. I spent the Shabbat at the Conservative Yeshiva (the other side of Beit Nativ and Fuchsberg for those USYers out there). It happened to be the beginning of the annual Rabbinical Assembly where I saw some familiar faces – including one of my staff members from Wheels ( JESSIE!). Most importantly from this past Shabbat, I was reminded where I come from as well as where I know I can and want to be Jewishly. The people I spent Shabbat with were as well educated, observant and loving of Judaism as the Chasids running around this city- something that is easy to forget here.

Following Shabbat I went to a yeshiva/yoga place/community center in Nachlaot (hippie-religious neighborhood right by the shuk) to see a concert of one of the local Rabbis. This concert topped my top ten list of most spiritual events in my life. Every song performed by this rabbi (there was a cello, piano and sax) moved through me like I have never experienced- fluidly and with ease. I had never been so impacted by music like this before- in the way it soothed and lifted me. It was incredible.

The celebration of TuBeshvat in Jerusalem can only be described by pure happiness. Erev TuBeshvat I went to a sedar at the Conservative Yeshiva and the next day decided to skip ulpan (the one and only)- as I was told there was a festival on Ben Yehuda. We got to Ben Yehuda by about 11 to find that the street was being set up for what seemed like a Disney event. About an hour later, people dressed as trees, flowers, mother nature, butterflies and the like were performing in the streets along with different bands, performers and dancers. It was INCREDIBLE. Celebrating the earth and the environment in Israel is especially beautiful given the nature of the water crisis and it’s seemingly lack of impact on the luscious agriculture produced here. Following the festival I went with a few friends to that same hippie religious- community center/yeshiva/yoga center where we planted trees and did other environmental activities with about 30 hippie-religious- Bal Tshuvot families. There must have been about 40 kids under the age of 4 running around covered in dirt and food under the watchful eye of all of the parents- a true kehillah. I tried Ethiopian food for the first time that night and spent the rest of it drinking wine with some close friends.

Overall, the past few days have been truly wonderful.
I am really going to try to keep up with this blog- so keep checking!

I think of all of you often and wish you could all be here to share this amazing experience with me--- COME VISIT!!

Until next time,
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment